New Headboard

Hello!  It seems like it's been so long since I've blogged but however long it's been, I'm so glad to be back.  If you follow us on Facebook, you know that my hubby had a health emergency come up.  He was diagnosed with a heart problem and ended up in the hospital having a few tests run and thankfully, the tests came out good.  I want to say thank you to each and everyone of you who prayed for him and our family.  It truly meant the world to us.  He is on the mend and we are slowly getting back to a normal routine again.


Quite honestly, the whole thing shook us both up so much that I haven't even wanted to blog or work on any project.  I wanted to spend all my time with him and our kids.  I even considered stopping blogging altogether.  But my creativity seems to be coming back and I'm looking forward to getting back to the projects I was working on.

I was in the middle of redoing our middle son's room.  His room is tiny and so making it work has been a huge issue.  Plus, he is tall and must have a double bed instead of a twin so the first thing on the list after getting the bed was a headboard.   Of course, it had to be cheap so I knew I was going to make it myself.  I didn't want to do the same thing I did for our other son's room and had always wanted to make a headboard from an old door, we just couldn't find the right door, until a few months ago.  So, I got to work.


I've been so absent minded lately so unfortunately I forgot to take a picture of the door before I cut it down and added the molding.  But here it is before I painted it.  I wanted to use a door that had the same size panels all the way down.  I measured the width of his bed and added a couple of inches just to be safe, then measured and cut the door to size.   Then I removed all hardware and filled the holes with spackle.


I added crown molding and a top piece to finish it off.  I'm not about to try to do a tutorial on making miter cuts and return pieces for molding.


Mine are never perfect and I always end up with a big pile of mess ups as it is always a trial and error kind of thing for me.  I'm sure there are lots of tutorials out there that are a lot better than anything I could show you.  Faster, too.

After all that, I filled the holes and painted the entire piece. 


Here's how it looks now before I put it in the room.  I still need to add a brace to the bottom so I can attach it to the wall.  I will blog about that when it's finished and show you how it looks in the room.  I can't wait to put it all together with the bedding I bought for him from West Elm.  Love their bedding!  So that's it for now!

Thank you for visiting today!  Enjoy your day!
Diana

No comments:

Post a Comment